Thursday, September 4, 2014

Scoring the winning goal; a healthy lifestyle

Fitness Goals

My goal for this year is to improve my upper body strength. For example, I would like to be able to do 20 consecutive pushups, without needing to rest. This is because I've noticed that over the years my upper strength has degraded. Moreover, I would really like to strengthen it, so I will not need to worry about it anymore. I would connect this goal to perseverance because I will need to persevere through this hardship, to get to my goal, but it will be worth it. Also, it is connected to risk taker because I will need to go out of my comfort zones in order to achieve my goals. 

Regarding the SMART goals, I believe my goal meets the criteria. My goal is specific because it includes a specific number as well as a specific activity. My goal is also measurable, because I can tell whether I get to my goal or not. I need to get 20 pushups in order to reach my goal, therefore it is measurable. My goal is attainable because I know I can improve on this skill of mine. I had this skill in the past, but I didn't follow up; I didn't continue to improve my strength. My goal is meaningful because I have been struggling with my arm muscles, and PE would be a perfect time for me to improve on this skill. I will need about a few months to achieve my goal because I want it to become a habit for me to do pushups, and a few months is enough time for that habit to form. 

The achievement of my fitness goal will impact and improve my life because I will overall become confident with my abilities. I have always been a little insecure about my upper body strength and to improve it would be amazing. Furthermore, the health benefits I can receive from maintaining a healthy body will also be splendid. The achievement of my fitness goal will benefit me in the future because I no longer need to worry about improving my upper body strength, if I make it a habit now.

Studios, HJ Media. "Pushups!" Flickr. Yahoo!, 13 Oct. 2012. Web. 04 Sept. 2014.


  • What does your latest beep test result tell you about your current level of fitness?
    My latest beep test tells me that I can work even harder. I got a heart rate that was in the third zone, which means that I could've ran for even longer, but I didn't. Next time, I will try to not stop if I feel slightly tired, but when I really feel maxed out.

  • How did monitoring your heart rate during this unit help inform your level of fitness?
    Finding our heart rate can improve our fitness because that way we can know how much we are working in terms of our cardiovascular system. Furthermore, in the previous question I know I can work harder and run for longer based on my heart rate.

  • What revisions do you need to make in order to refine your fitness goal? Are they based on interests and abilities? What core values are being demonstrated?
    I don't think I need to edit my fitness goal at all. I think it's still an acceptable goal that I will be able to reach by December. My goal was originally based on the fact that I can barely do a pushup, and I want to change that. The core values being shown are curious it and risk taking since I am doing something new, and taking a risk.

  • What approaches could you take that will challenge you to succeed?
    The only thing I really can do is practice harder in PE class as well as practice at home. When I have the chance to practice my upper body strength I should take it.

  • 3 comments:

    1. Risk-taking and perseverance are most definitely key in achieving your fitness goals. Taking risks helps us learn from those experiences and teaches us what we need to do in order to improve. Persevering through challenges will help us grow within a mindset that is open to becoming a healthier person. Being responsible is essential to maintain and further develop the skills needed to achieve lifelong fitness and health.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hi Dana, as I have mentioned for your Q1 comments, critical thinking is needed when sharing your ideas regarding your fitness goal. Being curious and asking meaningful questions to help support your learning is essential to strengthen your critical thinking skills. Practice making connections between the exercises we perform in class and the fitness components and muscle groups that are working. Use this understanding to help better revise and refine your fitness goal following the SMART goal approach to goal setting. What specific approaches could you take that will challenge you to succeed? Always be responsible by completing your work appropriately and efficiently, both in and out of class. I wonder, what other actions could you take to further your understanding of the activities we are performing in class? In doing so, what connections could you make to physical and health literacy?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Dear Ms. Arcenas,

        I completely agree that critical thinking is needed when sharing or improving my ideas. One thing I can maybe approach to complete my goal is to set up a calendar and follow it. For example, I can do some pushups on one day, then some on the other, and further on until I reach my goal. Also, if I do not understand a concept in class I can watch videos or read articles about it in order to deepen my thinking.

        Thanks for commenting!

        Delete