Sunday, April 20, 2014

Belly Dancing Reflection

From my experience I believe a fusion is a mix of two objects. In this case, it is a mix of two dances that have aspects that work well together. In this case we did a fusion of Hip Hop and Belly Dancing which included facets from both dances. I really liked this dance because it required a lot of hip movement and it was a lot of fun to do. I think because we did the hip movements it did create an Arabic feel to it. I didn't like how there was no hand movements that we practiced. I think if the teacher would have included more of the Mediterranean hand movements it would have made it much better. It would overall look more polished. The part of the song that I didn't like that much was the towards the end when you go down and then put your hands up. I don't think that made it look better at all and I believe there were other things that could've been included there. I really liked the part of the dance where we would turn and immediately put our elbows to our heads because I think that looked very good. It had both a belly dancing and hip hop feel to it and I would love to use it in my own choreography. I found many differences in this dance that were different in our other dances. For example, when we did our Hip Hop unit I think it was a little more depending on the exact steps. In the Belly/Hip fusion it was more dependant on the movement you did with your body rather than just in your feet. Another difference that I found was that in this dance your hands were constantly moving when in the other units (ie. English Ballroom Dancing) where our hands were kept on our sides. Another change that I noticed was the fact that our dance could be portrayed with only one person, when in other dances that we have done, for example the Wizard of Oz, our group dances, were all with multiple people that worked together to create a dance.  Overall, I really liked this fusion of dance and how it worked together and I think it was much different from all of the other dances we have done.

No comments:

Post a Comment